Seven Years

This morning, Kate woke up and said, “Mom, it’s the 13th and I’m sad.” This is the first time she’s acknowledged the anniversary of the car accident. This is good progress for Kate as she continues to grow in grief.

Anne before the accident

Anne after the accident

As Kate was crying, Canon offered these words of comfort…

When blacksmiths crafted swords thousands of years ago, when the sword was first made, the metal was very brittle. The blacksmith would dip the sword in fire and then in cold water over and over again until the metal was strong. It says in the Bible that God is with us in the fire. This is your fire, Kate. God is with you and he will use it to make you stronger.

God is with us in the fire. He is sovereign and good! We are thankful for God’s faithfulness to Anne and our family over the last seven years. We look forward to seeing how God’s goodness is revealed over the next seven years!

We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

Advertisements

14 thoughts on “Seven Years

1. Jane Smith says:

Your whole family is incredible…what wisdom coming from a “how-old-is-Canon-again? -er”! God’s faithfulness through your parenting is truly amazing. You ALL are among my heroes! Seven years…

I love you, Kathryn!

–Jane

2. Steph Hubach says:

I love your family! The Lord is clearly making Canon strong too! Hugs to your family from ours. Thankful for your honest testimony of the goodness of God in the hard places of life.

3. Ruth Cox says:

I’ve had a rough three months, with some suffering for me. And where do I get encouraged? By YOUR family. Thanks for sharing, especially that last scripture. Speaking to my heart. Isn’t that so!!!

4. paulette says:

As always, your words are so poignant and true; always pointing us to Jesus. Praying for y’all as you peel away the layers of grief, year by year, and find true joy in the midst of your suffering. An anniversary you would never have chosen, but would never choose to undo. Isn’t that the way of the gospel…always upside-down to our thinking.

I love you and I’m so grateful for you!

Liked by 1 person

5. thank you for your honest sharing of the heartachethatisbearingfruit; isn’t that the way of Christ! I am once again encouraged by, and in awe of, the faith of the Jackson family. Praying for peace and joy in the midst
    love you friends

Liked by 1 person

6. Jana says:

What words of wisdom for Kate from her older brother. May God keep their relationship close and may they always speak truth to one another in encouragement. So thankful they have one another. Your family is a huge encouragement to so many!

7. Lu says:

As hard as it is, I’m glad all your children are beginning to be able to speak their whole truth. May He continue to guide your words and your lives as you remain open to Him and His leading.
    Love you BUNCHES